Paul G. Verellen, ESQ
Vice President of Sales
Paul is the Vice President of Sales, Marketing, and Legal Compliance for PatentAlign, aka PASS - Patent Attorney Support Services. Although the name is changing, PatentAlign features the same IP legal support services that have made it the premier provider of these services for IP Attorneys throughout the US and internationally. The name and brand are changing to more closely reflect the Company's ties to its parent company Speridian Technologies, LLC and its suite of 'Align' products in the healthcare and judicial market sectors.
Paul comes from a varied background of increasingly responsible work experience in both the private and public sectors in labor and employment law and HR Management. A US Army veteran who served during the Vietnam conflict, Paul went on to college at Michigan State University where he earned a Bachelor's Degree in Urban Studies, and Master's Degrees in Public Administration and Labor and Industrial Relations. Upon graduation Paul spent the next 19 years with McDonnel Douglas/Boeing in the HR/Labor Relations arena. Along the way while working and raising a family, Paul went to Western State University School of Law in California where he earned his JD Degree, and passed the California Bar in 1995. Not soon after, Paul took a position as head of HR for tech startup Nexgenix where after a few years of tremendous growth the company became a victim of the bursting Tech bubble in the early 2000's. Paul then went into private practice for a couple of years until he was recruited by The California State University as a Manager of Labor Relations where he negotiated labor contracts and acted as University counsel in labor arbitration hearings.
After a few years, Paul decided to enter the world of IP support services for the entrepreneurial opportunity to start up a new business venture for Speridian Technologies. Over the next 8 years Paul, along with his team in India, took PASS, now PatentAlign, from one existing client to over 120 clients. He continues to work with his team and Karen Kaplan, Director of Sales, to increase PatentAlign's client base to become the preeminent supplier of IP support services throughout the US and internationally.
The Patentalign/PASS Patent Team
IP Experience Summary
- Nine years of experience in Intellectual Property Legal Support Services performing the following tasks:
- Preparation and submittal of patent search reports; preparation and submittal of provisional and non-provisional patent applications; preparation and submittal of office action responses for both US and foreign filings.
- Search experience includes Patentability, Freedom-to-Operate/Infringement searches, State of the Art, and Validity/Invalidity searches.
- Identifying and indexing patents and summarizing the claims.
- Extensive technical expertise in Patent Landscaping by analysing patents and Non- Patent Literature.
- Trademark searches and monitoring.
- Preparing USPTO-compliant patent drawings.
- Involved in every aspect of an IP project life cycle including disclosure analysis, query preparation, creating and following work plans to ensure a top quality finished product to meet client deadlines.
- Experience in retrieving File Histories from US and other countries' databases to support patent prosecution, litigation, and research and development needs of clients.
Education & Training
|Bachelor of Technology||
|Bachelor of Engineering||
|Bachelor of Science||
|Masters of Science||
|Diploma in Fine Arts||
|Office Applications||:||Microsoft word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook, Adobe Suite|
|Databases||:||USPTO, Google, Freepatentsonline, Googlepatents, WIPO ,CIPO, SIPO, PAJ, Espacenet, AusPat, KIPRIS|
|Operating System||:||MS-Windows 95,98,2000, XP, Windows 7|